Sometimes You Just Need A Pajama Day

 In this busy world we live in I think it's good to admit that you're a little tired of it all sometimes and to stop, breathe, and smell a rose or two.

When Your Get Up And Go Has Gone

Most of the time I'm an "up and at 'em" kind of gal. I go to work when I need to, I don't take sick days unless I'm on my death bed, I turn up when I say I will and I don't mind any of it. Then there is the occasional day when I reach the point where I've had enough and I'm tired of being little Mary Sunshine. My usual approach to that sort of mood would be to push through and put on my "happy face" and often we have to do that because we have responsibilities and no choice.

Regina Brett says it perfectly in the quote below, but there are times when pushing through isn't the answer and we need to start thinking about a little self-care instead.

No matter how  you feel, get up, get dressed, and show up - Regina Brett

Sometimes We All Need A Little Self-Care  

After decades of pushing through and soldiering on, I've now decided to accept and nurture myself a little on those days when I don't feel fabulous. I'm not going to berate myself and feel bad about them or guilty about needing a little "Me Time". There will always be a day here or there when I just get tired of getting up, dressing up and showing up. There will be a day here or there when I just want to slouch around and not do much and maybe even eat unhealthy snacks while I'm at it!


Women through the ages have been told that we need to be there for everyone else, to put ourselves last and to smile while we do it. I think it's inbuilt in all of us to want to do the right thing and to be all things to all people - even at the cost of our own mental or physical health. When we have young children or a lot of commitments, it's really hard to say "No" and step back, but as time goes on we find there are days when we can allow ourselves a little grace and the opportunity to step back and breathe a little.

Pajama Days

I'm now officially referring to my tired days as Pajama Days - these are the days when I will give myself permission to take a little time out for myself. I will sleep in, have a shower and then put my pajamas back on, kick back and have a "Me" day. I won't go out, I won't make any commitments to anyone and I will laze around reading books, blog posts and maybe a magazine if I have one. I might even watch a bit of daytime TV and mutter to myself about how there is nothing on that's worth watching!

If we hit the Pause button when tiredness strikes, if we stop for a little while and allow ourselves a little breathing room, we find we can refresh ourselves and regain our enthusiasm for all the responsibilities that will be waiting for us when we return to the daily rat race. Pushing through and doing things grudgingly tends to wear us down and create a negative attitude that hurts us and ultimately hurts those around us.


Allow Yourself To Be Tired 

I'm not saying that we need to take a "Mental Health Day" every time we feel a bit flat, we all have responsibilities and commitments that require us to show up with a smile and a can-do attitude. But occasionally I think it's good for us to admit that we're a little tired of it all, and to stop, breathe, smell a rose or two (if you feel like leaving the comfort of the couch) and just have a little bit of head space freed up again. I'm not an advocate of blowing off work or your other commitments, but if you can hang out for your day off - then make it a true day off, chill out and allow yourself to refresh and regroup.

I have a picture in my head of an elegant woman lounging around in her lovely matching sleepwear/ leisurewear outfit, I'm a lot less elegant than that in real life and I don't co-ordinate at all - but that's part of Pyjama Day - not giving a hoot about appearance - just relaxing and not participating in the hustle and bustle of this busy world - taking a day to accept I'm tired.......and to get over it and move on tomorrow.

In this busy world we live in I think it's good to admit that you're a little tired of it all sometimes and to stop, breathe, and smell a rose or two.

What Do You Think?

Do you take some time out for refreshment now and then? Are you an advocate of self-care and looking after your own needs? Or do you soldier on regardless? Pajama Day needs to be taken responsibly, but when you do it right, it's just perfect.

In this busy world we live in I think it's good to admit that you're a little tired of it all sometimes and to stop, breathe, and smell a rose or two.

Wisdom and Warmth - a blog for those looking for ways to live life in full bloom.